What a wild fucking ride this NFL offseason has been. Tom Brady retired, spent a few weeks with his kids, said fuck that, and turned right around and came back to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. What about all the trades? Holy shit, were there some huge names traded! Russell Wilson! Davante Adams! Tyreek Hill! And the money shelled out this offseason. 230 million guaranteed to a guy that you didn’t know would play or not? Awful. I guess it worked out. But not just Deshaun. Everybody was getting paid this offseason. Kyler Murray got bank. Aaron Rodgers will see 50 million a year until he turns 41. That’s a lot of money to pay someone who will never make it back to the Super Bowl. His former teammate Davante Adams got paid huge too, opting to request a trade to the Raiders to play with future Hall of Famer (his words not mine) and former college teammate Derek Carr. That’s not even the half of it. Let’s take a look at the wildness that was the 2022 NFL offseason.
Russell Wilson to Denver
Seattle sends QB Russell Wilson, 2022 pick 116 (Eyioma Uwazurike) to Denver for QB Drew Lock, DL Shelby Harris, TE Noah Fant, 2022 pick 9 (Charles Cross), 2022 pick 40 (Boye Mafe), 2022 pick 158 (Tyreke Smith), 2022 pick 233 Dareke Young), 2023 rd 1, 2023 rd 2
This one isn’t surprising but a bit depressing for me. There was a point in time where the thought of having Russ on the Bears made him the greatest QB in team history but like the shit organization, they are they didn’t make the move. But fuck it, we got Justin Fields. Enough about the Bears. I love this trade for both teams. I said a bunch last season that the Broncos roster is a QB away from being a legit contender. Well, now they have their man. Time to let Russ Cook. I expect a big season from the Broncos this season. On the other side, Seattle got a haul with two firsts, two seconds, and a couple of serviceable pieces to fill out the 53 in Lock, Harris, and Fant.
Deshaun Watson, Amari Cooper to Cleveland, Baker Mayfield to Carolina
Texans send QB Deshaun Watson, 2024 6th to Cleveland for 2022 rd 1 (traded to Philly), 2022 rd 4 (Dameon Pierce), 2023 rd 1, 2023 rd 3, 2024 rd 1, 2024 rd 4
The summer of Deshaun Watson is finally over. We now know that he will only be suspended for 6 games making this trade a steal for the Browns. You’re like a steal are you crazy? I know 6 picks is a lot to give up to say it is a steal, but to get your franchise guy you do what it takes. And what a deal for Deshaun. 230 million guaranteed! We’ve never seen anything like that before. And the gamble paid off for the Browns when the suspension was dealt out. But will Watson be the guy to finally lead the Browns to the Super Bowl? Doubt it. For the Texans, they got 3 first-round picks and 3 additional high-value picks in the process to help build a roster around potential franchise QB Davis Mills.
Cowboys send WR Amari Cooper, 2022 pick 202 (Michael Woods ll) to Browns for 2022 pick 155 (Matt Waletzko), 2022 pick 193 (Devin Harper)
That’s it?!?! That’s fucking it?!? The Browns got a steal here in Amari Cooper. Cooper gives Watson that number one guy that he can lean and all the Browns had to give up was a 5th round pick. Steal.
Browns send QB Baker Mayfield to Carolina for 2024 rd 5
With the acquisition of Deshaun Watson, the Browns no longer had a place for Baker Mayfield. Carolina happily swooped in. I really like this trade for the Panthers as they didn’t have to give up much to acquire a guy who before his injury-riddled 2021 season, put up 3500+ yards passing per season and 20+ TDs. I expect the Panthers to have a good offensive attack this year with Baker, a healthy Christian McCaffrey, and DJ Moore.
Davante Adams to Las Vegas
After Aaron Rodgers signed his extension in Green Bay I thought it was a foregone conclusion that Adams would resign and they would try to go after the Super Bowl that has eluded them. I was wrong. And I’m happy to have him out of the division. I love this trade for the Raiders and it hurts the Packers in the process, and of course, I love that. Fuck the Packers. Anyway, Adams then got himself a 28 million per year contract and has his chance to prove that he is the best wideout in the league. The Raiders offense is now stacked around Derek Carr with Adams, Darren Waller, Hunter Renfrow, and Josh Jacobs. Unfortunately for them, their division is so stacked I think they finish last in it. But last place in the AFC West could be good for a Wild Card spot.
Packers send WR Davante Adams to Las Vegas for 2022 rd 1 (Quay Walker), 2022 rd 2 (traded to Indy), 2022 rd 5 (traded to HOU) – (Used 2022 rd pick and their own 2022 rd 2 pick to trade for Christian Watson)
Tyreek Hill to Dolphins
I am going to sound like a broken record here but I love this trade for both teams. Tyreek has a chance to ball out in Miami and show that he doesn’t need Mahomes. Oh, and by the way, they paid him 120 million dollars over 4 years to do it. On the flip side, I like what Kansas City did. They used the 3 2022 draft picks they obtained in this trade to trade twice with New England to position themselves to draft two young studs in DB Trent McDuffie and WR Skyy Moore.
Chiefs send WR Tyreek Hill to Dolphins for — DB Trent McDuffie (2022 pick 21), Skyy Moore (2022 pick 54) — 2022 rd 1 (traded to NE), 2022 rd 2 (traded to NE), 2022 rd 4 (traded to NE), 2023 rd 4, 2023 rd 6 – (Used 2022 rd 1 and 4 picks to trade up in the draft for DB Trent McDuffie. 2022 rd 2 pick trade with NE trade down 4 spots and drafted Skyy Moore)
Carson Wentz to Washington, Matt Ryan to Colts
Indianapolis sends QB Carson Wentz, 2022 pick 47 (Phidarian Mathis) to Washington for 2022 pick 42 (Andrew Booth), 2022 pick 73 (Jelani Woods), 2023 rd 3 (conditional)
Falcons send QB Matt Ryan to Indianapolis for 2022 pick 82 (DeAngelo Malone)
I’m going to lump these two trades together. I think the Colts got the best of this here. Matty Ice has one more run in him and could be the guy to get the Colts back to the playoffs after an embarrassing loss to the Jaguars kept them out in 2021. Alot of that blame was put on Carson Wentz. He was shipped out to Washington who in theory got better. Washington has been a mess at quarterback and Wentz will provide an upgrade. Do I think either team will make the playoffs? No.
Khalil Mack to Chargers
Chicago trades Khalil Mack to Chargers for 2022 pick 48 (Jaquan Brisker), 23 rd 6
As a Bears fan, this one hurt. While I don’t think that Mack has lived up to his contract, I also would rather be paying him and have him on my team commanding double teams than playing elsewhere. Especially for a modest second-round pick. The Chargers now boast Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa on the edge. Good luck AFC West QBs. The Chargers had an amazing offseason and this move might take the cake. Again, as a Bears fan, puke.
AJ Brown to Eagles
Titans trade AJ Brown to Eagles for 2022 rd 1 (Treylon Burks), 2022 rd 3, (traded to NYJ) (Ended up being pick 69 Nicholas Petit-Frere)
He said it best. Every other big-name wideout from his draft class got paid by the teams that drafted them, he got traded. And that’s good for the Eagles. Jalen Hurts needs all the help he can get. Brown’s addition will help open up DaVonta Smith and the Eagles offense should take a step forward. For the Titans, they got a Brown-comp player who they are hoping can step right in and fill his shoes. Big shoes to fill.
Hollywood Brown to Cardinals
Ravens trade Hollywood Brown, 2022 pick 100 (Myjai Sanders) to Cardinals for 2022 rd 1 (Tyler Linderbaum), 2022 pick 130 (Jordan Stout)
Hollywood joins former college teammate Kyler Murray in Arizona. This is good for Kyler as it gives him someone he is familiar with while DeAndre Hopkins is out on suspension. Hollywood is coming off his best season as he net 91 receptions and over 1,000 yards receiving for the first time in his career.
Free Agent Signings
(Chart courtesy of CBS Sports)
Like I said earlier, people got PAID this offseason! Wide receivers especially cleaned up.
- Kyler Murray, QB – Signed a 5 year $230.5 million contract extension with Arizona
- Aaron Rodgers, QB – Signed a 3 year $150.8 million contract extension with Green Bay
- Deshaun Watson, QB – Signed a 5 year $230 million contract extension with Cleveland
- Derek Carr, QB – Signed a 3 year $121.5 million contract extension with Las Vegas
- Matthew Stafford, QB – Signed a 4 year $160 million contract extension with Los Angeles
- Cooper Kupp, WR – Signed a 3 year $80.1 million contract extension with Los Angeles
- Davante Adams, WR – Signed a 5 year $140 million contract extension with Las Vegas
- Tyreek Hill, WR – Signed a 4 year $120 million contract extension with Miami
- A.J. Brown, WR – Signed a 4 year $100 million contract extension with Philadelphia
- Diontae Johnson, WR – Signed a 2 year $36.71 million contract extension with Pittsburgh
- Deebo Samuel, WR – Signed a 3 year $71.55 million contract extension with San Francisco
- Stefon Diggs, WR – Signed a 4 year $96 million contract extension with Buffalo
- D.K. Metcalf, WR – Signed a 3 year $72 million contract extension with Seattle
- Terry McLaurin, WR – Signed a 3 year $68.36 million contract extension with Washington
- D.J. Moore, WR – Signed a 3 year $61.884 million contract extension with Carolina
- Brandin Cooks, WR – Signed a 2 year $39.764 million contract extension with Houston
- Hunter Renfrow, WR – Signed a 2 year $32 million contract extension with Las Vegas
- David Njoku, TE – Signed a 4 year $56.75 million contract extension with Cleveland
- D.J. Humphries, LT – Signed a 3 year $66.8 million contract extension with Arizona
- Cam Robinson, LT – Signed a 3 year $54 million contract extension with Jacksonville
- Aaron Donald, DT – Signed a 3 year $95 million contract extension with Los Angeles
- Grady Jarrett, DT – Signed a 3 year $50.47 million contract extension with Atlanta
- Jaire Alexander, CB – Signed a 4 year $84 million contract extension with Green Bay
- Denzel Ward, CB – Signed a 5 year $100.5 million contract extension with Cleveland
- Xavien Howard, CB – Signed a 5 year $90 million restructured contract extension with Miami
- Minkah Fitzpatrick, S – Signed a 4 year $73.61 million contract extension with Pittsburgh
A third of the league changed head coaches this offseason. A third of the league. I was yearning for Brian Daboll to replace the incompetent Matt Nagy but the Bears got Matt Eberflus. At first, my reaction was who the fuck is this guy? But he’s a try-hard rah-rah guy and I’m a sucker for a rah-rah guy so now you can consider me a Floosy.
Parentheses = (Position promoted from)
- Dennis Allen – New Orleans Saints (Saints DC)
- Brian Daboll – New York Giants (Bills OC)
- Matt Eberflus- Chicago Bears (Colts DC)
- Nathaniel Hackett – Denver Broncos (Packers OC)
- Mike McDaniel – Miami Dolphins (49ers OC)
- Josh McDaniels – Las Vegas Raiders (Patriots OC)
- Doug Pederson – Jacksonville Jaguars (n/a)
- Lovie Smith (Texans DC)
- Kevin O’Connell – Minnesota Vikings (Rams OC)
- Todd Bowels – Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Bucs DC)
As I said, it has been a wild fucking offseason. I can’t remember an offseason so crazy. If you’re thinking I forgot to catch you up on the draft, don’t worry I didn’t. You can find full 2022 draft results and grades from CBS Sports here.
I hope this got your mind refreshed and excited for the NFL season! The Hall of Fame game kicks off today and I couldn’t be more ready for football! Good luck to all your teams as you embark on this 2022 NFL season, except the Packers. Always remember, fuck the Packers.